Yes, I am summoning up Beetlejuice as our October Food 'n Flix movie pick!
Chances are you have seen this 1988 Tim Burton-directed comedy-fantasy film, but if not, Beetlejuice is the story of a Connecticut couple Adam and Barbara Maitland (Alec Baldwin and Gina Davis) who get in an accident and wake up back in their home. It isn't long before they realize that they didn't survive. ('The Handbook for the Recently Deceased' that they find is a pretty big clue!) They also find that they can't leave their house-making it difficult when a new family from the city moves in. When the Deetz family and their designer Ortho take over and redecorate the house, Barbara and Adam try to scare them out and when that doesn't work they summon Betelgeuse (pronounced Beetlejuice and played by Michael Keaton), a "bio-exorcist" ghost for help--only Beetlejuice's kind of help wreaks complete havoc.
It's a fun movie with Tim Burton's usual quirky gothic style and a great cast. In addition to Baldwin, Davis and Keaton (Bonus that it's young, thin, plaid flannel-wearing, hot 80s Alec Baldwin too!), there is Winona Ryder (Lydia Deetz) Catherine O'Hara (Delia Deetz) and Jeffrey Jones (Charles Deetz) rounding out the main characters.
I'll be the first to admit that it is not the foodiest of films, but based on the creative Halloween fun we had with Hocus Pocus last October, it seemed liked the perfect pick. I just watched it again for the food and while not plentiful, it can be found--on the kitchen counters, Chinese (Cantonese) food in boxes, coffee, tea, and alcohol, the prepping of produce for the famous dinner party with a gnarly shrimp cocktail for starters. Plus, knowing the creativity of this group, I have no doubt you will find inspiration in the colorful set, crazy sculptures and monsters, and even the Calypso music.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
How to Participate in Food 'n Flix:
- Watch the chosen film Beetlejuice and taking inspiration from the film, head into the kitchen and cook or bake or make something.
- Post about it on your blog with a link back to THIS post and a link to Food 'n Flix. (Use of the Food 'n Flix logo is optional)
- If you don't have a blog but you want to join in, you can post a photo of the dish you made on Instagram (public accounts only). You must include the following in your caption: short intro, recipe, #FoodnFlix, and tag me (your host) @DebinHawaii.
- Your post must be current (during the month of film). And of course we don't mind if your post is linked to other events... the more the merrier!
- Have fun with it!
- Email your entries - both blog (and Instagram if using) - to me at [email protected] and please cc "[email protected]" and include:
-the name of your blog as you want it written (or Instagram account)
-the name of the dish/drink you created AND a direct link to your post
-attach a photo or give permission for me to pull one from your post
-indicate "Food 'n Flix Submission" in the subject line.
Deadline for submission is Monday, October 31st (by the end of the day wherever you are.)
Happy watching and cooking!